Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Welcome to Faint Footsteps, WW2

Blog Background 2

 [Buryl McIntyre, Doug Harrison. RCNVR, Combined Operations, 1941 - 45]

Once I caught the bug and began to read and learn more about my father's WW2 experiences I realized I was a very fortunate man. Not only did I have 40 pages of his hand-written notes but several of the columns he'd written for his hometown weekly, the Norwich Gazette. And on my own bookshelf I discovered copies of books about Combined Operations, written by Canadian WW2 veterans, in which a few of my father's stories were included. Inside the front cover of one book was a list of page numbers, compiled by my wife, where I could find Father's contributions.

[Hand-written memoirs: Comments re invasion of Sicily, 1943.
"Shrapnel and bombs just rained down"]

I believe my father's story is a good one and will be of interest perhaps to more than a few people whose father or grandfather is also a war veteran. I can support some stories with photographs, thanks to my father and his willingness to list names and places on the back at times. I can support others with my own photos, taken during trips to Halifax, Vancouver Island and Irvine and Inveraray, Scotland, where a few precious, sometimes faint, reminders or artifacts still reveal that Canadian men and women served their countries in various war efforts.

[Stoker Katanna gave his hammock to SLt. Rodgers on their way to Sicily, 1943.
The hammock was returned in 1985, and resides in Navy Museum, Esquimalt, BC]

Developing and maintaining this site will likely be a gradual, lengthy process but in twenty years time it will be top rate. To guarantee success, I invite readers to submit their own stories, photographs, memoirs, and comments related to personal involvement in war activities or to involvement of family members. I will make every effort to display materials in an appropriate, thorough manner.

And to others who have 'caught the bug' I wish good sailing!

Gord Harrison

Link to Blog Background 1

Photos by GH

No comments:

Post a Comment