Monday, April 13, 2015

A Few More Miles to Go (14)

The Long and Short Of It

2. A Few More Miles to Go

"I'm glad today I kept a journal"

I'm glad today I kept a journal on my way to the East Coast. To this day it is a thorough record of one of the most significant motorcycle rides I've ever taken, or ever will.

Glad too that I carried a few books (e.g., two volumes of stories by World War 2 veterans of Combined Operations, including some by my father), some to donate to The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax and others for my own interest. As it turned out, the museum was delighted to receive the Combined Ops books and I was drawn to them as well as I journeyed toward an approaching shoreline and promised deed. Dad's stories were not only welcome company during a few supper times but they kept my head in the game, so to speak.

"A story (with) a completely different flavour"

More than one reference to his stories appears in my notes, along with some of my reactions to certain tales. After arriving safely in Riviere-du-Loup and enjoying supper on the third day of my trip I wrote the following:

"Began to read another of Dad's stories. Last night I read about his time in the water, off coast of Scotland, up to his neck at times - and all alone. Close call, I say."

Even just a few years before my father died I would have shown only a passing interest in the story and cared little for its setting or the adventures he experienced during a time of war. In 2010, however, I was glued to the set.

I continued:

"Tonight, (I read) a story with a completely different flavour, re a female friend (he had) while in England. - both married, both faithful to spouses, but good company for each other. I guess I can understand how that works."

What I didn't understand at the time is that they were both single, though his girlfriend Gracie was promised to a Lieutenant in Montgomery's Eighth Army. And here is how Father begins the story, as published in St. Nazaire to Singapore, The Canadian Amphibious War 1941 - 1945.

"Sailors on the Prowl" - Drawing by G. Harrison

The Silent Pact and its Epilogue

My Navy buddy, Frank Herring, and I engaged in a Silent Pact overseas. When we were not required on board for duty we conspired to be the first ashore to get the pick. No Liberty Boat inspection for us - case the joint and slip ashore quickly and hopefully unseen.


Excerpt from St. Nazaire to Singapore, page 48

Ashore very early at Southend-On-Sea, we went straight through the black-out doors into the Top-Hat pub. Oh Boy! Two WAAF Corporals, a beautiful blonde and lovely brunette. With two or three Johnnie Walkers tucked under our belts for courage, we asked if we could sit down with them. The answer was in the affirmative. I sat by the blonde and Frank by the brunette. Things are great, going according to plan. Time passes and all too soon it’s “Time Gentlemen Please” by the governor.

It was suggested by the girls that we go to a penny arcade down the street where there were pin ball machines and even one-armed bandits. Away we go. No pain. I grasp the arm of the blonde and Frank the brunette. There is a big pile up at the black-out doors. People going out and some coming in, trying to get a last beer. We finally manage to get out into the darkened street and when we arrive inside the lighted penny arcade Frank has the blonde and I have the brunette. Such is life. 

"What happened back at the door?" "What back door?"
Photo credit to NN Antiques

More to follow.


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment