Tuesday, October 1, 2019

We (Yamaha and I) Land in Ottawa Safely (18C)

And I Love Me Walk-Abouts! : )

A Navy Boy marching off to war catches my eye in our capital city

I had three stops at hostels between Halifax and Ottawa, and each of them were excellent accommodation - central, close to amenities (read "groceries and pubs"). But my stop in Ottawa was my favourite and I spent a couple of nights there curled up nicely in a jail cell after lengthy walk-abouts with camera in hand.

My jail cell was a double so I had plenty of room to stretch out. Showers were on another floor so I got my warm-up exercise before I headed out each morning.

Photos from along the way:

I arrived safely in Ottawa sometime around 4 PM. I spotted a book shop (visited it later, after I parked the Yamaha) while entering the city via Rideau St. The city traffic was heavy and the heat coming off my bike and the tarmac hit me like a brick. I was happy to get off the bike and into shorts and dry t-shirt.

 I parked inside the stone wall of the Jail Hostel

 Solid entrance to Jail Hostel

 Parked under metal windows of upper stories and jail cells

 Up and down the stairs many times daily to hit cells, kitchen, shower, main office

 Bright hallways; cell doors on left, windows on right

 My narrow, very solid cell door

 My room was a double, i.e., a wall had been removed from the 
original single cell to make room for a bigger bed


 Hey, my feet get to enjoy a breeze

 Air circulation, but no a/c.


 Hostel has a stately front door

 An art gallery next door to the jail

 Time to pick up my torch... er, camera, and start a walk-about

I spot a lovely pub but already made supper and sipping plans


 Supper is offered at a good price outside the jail's back door

I toured Ottawa in a convertible after supper, with a new mate

After supper and a car ride, a group of inmates and I went to a karaoke bar by bus. Good way to see the city and then hear everybody try their hand at singing in tune to canned music accompanied by a skilled piano player. Great fun was had by all.

 Up and at 'em next morning

 I discover that the jail has its own bar, near basement kitchen

 I think the Jail has a great kitchen area for sharing

 A welcome breeze fills the lower level

 A healthy breakfast is prepared before I hit the sidewalks again

 I climb a stairway outside the jail to reach Laurier St.



 I am Ottawa for the first time. I love the downtown area!

 I really liked dozens of well-cared-for brick buildings



 That's one very determined-looking Navy boy!



 A brick sidewalk leads to Parliament Hill



 Behind one of the main parliament buildings sits Lester B. Pearson








I have walked a full circle. Back to jail. 


Heading to my cell to change for supper. Chez Lucien maybe?

More to follow from Ottawa and the Canadian War Museum.

Please link to The Scenic Bike Trip to Ottawa (18B)

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment