Tuesday, September 17, 2019

I Build Me a Boat Part 2 (11B)

From Gord's Deep Photo Files

A ride to the East Coast begins with pen and paper - S.S. Silver Walnut

I made a white cedar boat (small in size but big enough) in which I placed my father's ashes for a trip to Pennant Point, about 35 km. SE of Halifax.

I am no small ship builder but I wanted it to float nicely in the water all the way to the SW coast of Scotland- near the places my father first trained to handle landing crafts that would later transport troops to Dieppe, the north shore of Africa, the east coast of Sicily and the toe of the boot in Italy. 

Making a sturdy craft for an ocean voyage was no easy feat but I gave it my best shot.

Photos from along the way:


Some of Dad's ashes are buried beside his wife, my mother, in Norwich, Ontario

A cedar coffin, of sorts. Filled with more of Dad's ashes


The additions on the top surface changed as time went on in the workshop


I settled on a sealed structure to hold "messages in a whiskey bottle"

The messages provide details re the contents of the boat

Pretty sturdy keel, but not done yet




The Silver Walnut was a two-stacker

Screws, glue and marine varnish tightly seal the boat, I hope



Two coats of oil-based paint, please!


Navy-blue paint for the trim, of course




The trip out and back was over 4,000 km, spread over about two weeks

An engraved plaque for the boat ride to Scotland


Test run in a neighbour's pool reveals that I need a heavier keel





Saturday before my trip, my son Paul and I sell birdhouses for gas money : )

Heavy ballast: Walnut strips on keel and metal bolts from 
a northern railway line






The boat was still tippy with added walnut strips

Loading up motorcycle luggage bags. The boat's two stacks are gone,
so it can fit inside the leather bag



This motorcycle, 1100cc Yamaha Virago, was a real trooper!!


Heavily loaded, but ready for the 4,000 km trip

Gloves, keys, Tums and more; Ready to rumble

Bike is in my laneway, warming up for Day 1 of a long ride


I give grandson Ollie one last hug before I go.


I'll be back!

Photos of the trip will follow with the appropriate chapter.

Please link to I Build Me a Boat Part 1

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment