Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A Few More Miles to Go, Part 2 (14B)

Photos From Along the Way to Fredericton

On the road early, pointing toward Riviere du Loup

I packed my bike early after a hostel breakfast - toast and coffee - at a friendly, convenient hostel in Trois-Rivieres. I enjoyed my brief visit there as much as my one-night-stop in Kingston the day before.

The distance between Trois-Rivieres and Riviere Du Loup was under 400 km. so I imagined a relatively easy day of riding. And I was right.

I stayed on the two-lane south shore highway for the most part and made several stops beside the shores of the St. Lawrence. I arrived at my hostel - in an older, centrally located, historic looking building - by mid-afternoon (with about 100+ new photos), and found a grocery store nearby with a few lovely salads, rolls, and beers I had never seen before.

"I know how to fix that!" I said, and mumbled my way through the grocery line with a few words of French and my usual "I only speak English' excuse.

More Photos from Day 3, to Riviere Du Loup:




The Trans-Canada highway was not far away but I liked two lanes
and an easier pace.




An over-packed bike, but we're doing well.


Rain ahead? I missed the storm by riding ahead of it.

Cheap real estate, with river view!

A birdhouse builder. I saw lots of purple martin houses.



Small towns have very large churches.


Rest stop, again beside the south shore of St. Lawrence




I was tempted to stop for coffee here, ended up at a nearby bakery instead.


Artsy fartsy



Heading toward Saint-Germain-de-Kamouraska, QUE.





Front door of hostel in Riviere Du Loup

Ornate woodwork, up my alley

Quiet room for a snooze, but I put on shorts to go shopping, sight-seeing.

Early Montreal Canadiemmes?

A building across the street from my hostel's balcony, similar size.

Looks like a 1964-ish VW, like one I once owned.
Last photo from Riviere Du Loup.

Staff at the hostel put out breakfast items and after cereal and toast and coffee I took my gear out the kitchen/side door and loaded up my bike.

I was soon on my way to Grand Falls and a trip along the St. John River on my way to Fredericton, my next stop at another welcoming hostel.



Good views along the Trans-Canada as I approach grand Falls

At Grand Falls I select a secondary route that takes
me south near or beside the St. John R.






Great cheeseburger at Carl's


Not the longest covered bridge I encountered but still an adventure




Longest covered bridge in New Brunswick, if not the entire universe

I enjoyed the long curves on the Trans-Canada Highway


I will soon be off the bike and enjoying a walk-about
in Fredericton for the first time. 

More photos of more highway and more Canadian scenery will follow.

Please link to The Long and Short Of It - More Photos (12B)

Photos by GH

No comments:

Post a Comment