Saturday, September 21, 2019

The Long and Short Of It - More Photos (12B)

From London to Kingston and Trois-Rivieres, June 8 - 9, 2010


I left London early and heavily loaded with more gear than I really needed.

In order to bypass the 401 I headed north east toward Stratford and angled my way toward Orangeville and Newmarket.

I stopped in a wee hamlet near Dorking - go find that on a map! - for a sip of coffee, then headed to Arthur for lunch. After a stop at Tim Horton's I aimed for Kingston via secondary roads.


 I am looking west while stopped in Welcome. Yes, that's a place north of 401

 After gassing up, I headed south of 401 and followed lakeshore highways to Kingston

 Skweek House, a welcoming hostel, not far from Queens University

 Looking south to a lovely park in Kingston

 Gord is heading downtown to find a lovely pub and work on his journal

 Looking toward the St. Lawrence while walking downtown

 Every second house was built long ago but looked very well-kept



 Outside the Kingston Brewing Company. Trade my bike for the truck?


 From my bar stool I can see a bit of the brewery

 A solid door hides the refrigerated kegs of beer

 Solid brass port-hole. Navy boys would be familiar with such things

 Behind the frosted glass I find the kegs

I think it's fair to say, after reviewing the above photos and my notes, that I walked home from the Kingston Brewing Co. filled w good food and drinks and pleasant thoughts related to my motorcycle journey to bury my father at sea.

And on the way home to Sqweek House I had the notion to stop and photograph this piece of iron embedded in a Kingston resident's front step - with one idea stuck in my head:

Thot: "Check yer shoes, Gordie. If you've stepped in a mud pie
you can scrape it off right here."

No mud pies. And after a good sleep I was on the road early the next morning - in rain gear - on my way to Trois-Rivieres, QUE.

 Driving east along the St. Lawrence R. "Do I know where I am? Yes"

 I stopped for the scenery and to take off rain pants. Rain only threatened



 No rain. Sip your coffee and move along.


 Gord and the back half of his reliable Yamaha

 Morrisburg for lunch at Tim Horton's.

 The Tim's card my wife gave me, came in very handy

 At a rest stop not far from Trois Rivieres, I think!




 This building is opposite my hostel in Trois Rivieres (and similar in appearance)

 The view from my hostel's 2nd-floor balcony



Looking left from balcony. Groceries for supper nearby

I took 100s of photographs with my new pocket camera and wish I had taken more, don't you? : )

On my next trip to Halifax in 2014 I took more than one camera and ended up with a very large photo collection. Someday I will tackle that file and you'll be the first to know.

For more details about this leg of the journey please link to The Long and Short of It (12A)

Please link to I Take Me A Trip (13A) for information about the next leg of the long ride.

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment